I went through a rough time after I had my first baby, vanity-wise. I went from being a size 4US/8-10UK, men whistling and hissing at me as I walked down the street figure to something I couldn’t quite figure out (I was happy with the no whistling and hissing though!). I wore my maternity jeans long after I had completed the maternity stage, and no fashion designers had imagined a torso shaped like mine. I felt unsure about my new body, and my confidence took a definite WHAM!BAM!BLOW! It didn’t help that one of my mother-in-law’s friends jokingly said to me, is there another baby in there or what? Or that my husband’s grandmother would tell me if I didn’t watch out my stomach would go the way of my aunts, hanging at their knees!
Four years and another baby (a little boy this time) later, I can happily say it was just a phase. When I had my second child, I knew what to expect, vanity-wise! I kept all my maternity jeans, and I bought more after I had my son for a fresh look. I also invested in some beautiful high-waist jeans because all those pictures you see in the What-not-to-do section of fashion magazines displaying the donut rolls, ya, those are actually pictures of me after baby number 1. I wear dresses a lot more and a push up bra (I forgot to mention I nursed both kids for 1 year and a half each) is a staple in my closet.
I also do a few more things to lift my vanity once I’ve had a baby.
- I go to the best hairdresser in town and get a brand new haircut, something drastically different and very short (when it’s short it seems like you’re losing less hair) and very colorful.
- I get a spray tan. This works wonders for feeling better about your drastically different body. Now that baby is out and I don’t have to worry about chemicals seeping into the placenta I have to have a spray tan. Can I just say, this is the only time I ever got a spray tan, but I would do it again.
- I get a manicure and pedicure, and choose the brightest, happiest colors available, even in winter.
- I spend some time at the perfume counter finding a new fragrance that makes me happy. This seems almost silly, but really helped me feel good.
- I go to the gym and book my sessions. I usually don’t start working out until the 40 day mark, but knowing that I’m going to go to the gym soon and I’m being proactive about making my body strong again is an instant mood lifter.
Want to know where to get these done?
- My fab hairdresser is Charbel in Khalidiya Palace Rayhaan Hotel +971 2 681 9579
- Get a spray tan at Sisters Beauty Lounge Khalifa Bin Shakhbut Street (#28) +9712 222 2501
- Watch reruns of The Real Housewives while getting your nails done at Sugar Khalidiya area +9712 681 8784
- I’m a hardcore pilates fan, get your fix at BodyTree Studio on Hazaa Bin Zayed Street (#11) +9712 667 6579