For those of you in my camp, I know you feel my pain. Fear no more, my friends, because I took it upon myself to end the gift shopping dilemma and consulted a broad spectrum of my mommy friends to pick their brains on what gifts they really loved getting. From their very honest answers, I compiled a comprehensive list of the top tried and tested gifts for both expectant and new moms that will forever change your gift shopping game!
(1) Ladies Only Retreat: Just because the husband gets to do the “Babymoon” doesn’t mean the girlfriends can’t whisk away their mommy-to-be on a ladies only weekend getaway! Pre-natalette party anyone? In the UAE, we are in no shortage of hotels that offer a variety of memorable experiences. When Emirati Mom was expecting her first child, a group of her closest friends took her on a ladies only trip to the fun-filled Hilton Resort & Spa in Ras Al Khaimah. If you think your friend would be interested in something more secluded and low key, you can take her to the private warm beaches of Banyan Tree Ras Al Khaimah Beach.
- The Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth by Sheila Kitzinger – This book can serve as your expectant friend’s comprehensive reference book, offering accurate and thorough information from conception to birth.
- Chicken Soup for the Expectant Mother’s Soul by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, and Patty Aubery – As admitted by one of our moms, this book is guaranteed tear jerker, but in a good way! It will make your expectant friend excited about what is to come and will leave her feeling good about the huge life change.
- Belly Laughs: The Naked Truth about Pregnancy and Childbirth by Jenny McCarthy – One of our moms said that, although the book is “gross!”, it gives expectant mothers some insight about what is happening to their body and makes them feel better about all the changes.
- The Belly Book: A Nine-Month Journal for You and Your Growing Belly by Amy Krouse Rosenthal – If you found out early about your friend’s pregnancy, get them this book. It is a pregnancy journal that allows them to document their journey through each trimester.
(5) Pregnancy Workouts: If your friend loves working out, try getting her monthly passes for Pre-natal Yoga, Pilates, or AquaNatal classes. The Body Tree Studio offers a Pre-natal Pilates/Yoga class starting at 75 AED for drop ins, and 650 AED for 10 prepaid classes.
(8) Clothes: Get your friend a pregnancy support belt or a comfy set of loungewear that she can wear around the house or out running errands. You could also opt for a gift certificate to a maternity store (or two). Maternity clothes are expensive, you can help reduce the burden.
(10) Skincare Package: Gather a variety of creams, oils, and body butters that will help take care of your expectant friend’s skin and soothe her mind with sweet aromas. Have you seen the LUSH Cosmetics “Therapy” massage bar? It is made of 100% organic ingredients, and is said to be “ideal for massaging on your bump through pregnancy to reduce stretch marks.” Fun Fact: The design of the bar is said to be inspired by the statistic that one in four babies is born with an “outtie.”
You will have to stay tuned for Part 2 of this blogpost 😉